My job vs my passion

When was the time last you said to yourself.. "Screw this job.. let me do what i want" and held it back because of responsibilities ? For me (and i bet for most of us), its most of the time.. we sold ourselves to companies to hide our passions and work for them..


why do we want to do what we love to do??

i am not an expert in this field, but as a common man and from self experience (and from experience of close aides), top in the list of answers would be 'CONTENTMENT'. if you feel content with what you are doing you perform incredibly superb at what you do. Other factors i can think of are

1. Quality of the work: is much higher when you do what you like
2. Fun: This is my favorite, i can have as much fun as i want while i do what i love, i really don't care how hard it is, it still is fun..
3. Quantity: you will get done lot of work in the least time

Alright, we have our dreams about our passion, but while we try to make our dreams come true, how can we bring same love to our daily job ? (For our own satisfaction )

 I am sure at the beginning of every job, we all dedicate ourselves but as time pass by zeal gets leaner and leaner. To overcome this, I believe that MOTIVATION and APPRECIATION are the two key factors which does the magic. No one expects for pay raise or a promotion for every single task they do, but 'pat on the back' for every achievement truly gives lot of satisfaction and urge to do the work with more dedication.. (pay raise and promotion is always awesome :) , but it wont hold long enough without periodic appreciations)

i will leave rest to you guys to fill up on

1. Are you doing what you want to do?
2. Why do you think we should do what we love?
3. How can you make yourself love what you do?

...thanks for reading and looking fwd to see your thoughts..

3 comments:

Unknown August 24, 2010 at 12:36 AM  

Well, durin the past weekend too I had this thought - screw this job.. I just hate it.. why don't I hop ;)

It's very important to see that they remain an employee friendly organization to survive. I know they get n no. of ppl to replace us but again it's time that they waste in buildin them up by to compete in this market. It's just 20% of us who exist for many years with the same org. This totally applies to any type of market in India or even Asia i cud say. There are never any appreciations that turn from a person's heart often. It's like the sunshine in Norway!

And to your questions Praveen:

1. Are you doing what you want to do? No, not really but am trying to explore it!
2. Why do you think we should do what we love? To give life to our thoughts
3. How can you make yourself love what you do? By discovering more on what am doing and try my best to relate to it practically

It's been nice sharing these up. Nice blog!

Vinay Vijayakumar August 24, 2010 at 1:25 AM  

I have a different view on this. We have a single lifetime to do all that we wish to do. This single lifetime, we obviously need the security. We work 'cos it provides. The money is the key motivation, assuming, we dont like wat we do. But, the concept of security is highly Indian, atleast, predominantly. We are trained to think in those terms.

But, on a different note, instead of going in with a prejudice into work and money as the only motivation, if we learn to take a small amt of interest towards what we do, we will be in much better places in our lives. Jus take life in its stride.

1. Am I doing what I love to do? Yes. I am studying s/w engineering which will eventually (im being hopeful here ;) )provide. My passions are photography and writing. I pursue them just as much as I pursue my Masters.

2. Single lifetime. I dont believe in rebirths. I am sure Ill do everything I really WANT to do :)

3. Simple. Instead of looking for motivation or inspiration or recognition outside, source it urself. I mean, make sure it comes from within. 'Cos factors like money, security, recognition can stop motivating u very soon. Its only the self that needs satisfaction. As long as the work you do satisfies u and u feel good abt it its gud. Im tempted to quote the Gita here... "Karmanye Vadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadachana,
Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhurmatey Sangostva Akarmani"
Give everything your best shot. The results don't bother. Ull be fine :)

Neha August 24, 2010 at 10:06 AM  

What i wana do - Keeps changing over time :P
On a serious note, Ofcourse i am nto doing what i want to do but i have to do 'cos it pays well.
I have friends who are doing what they love to do. They are making money, even though, not as much as we do, but she is doing something she loves doing. However, i think , not all of us can do it because nto all are blessed with the riches and money and good bank balances that gives them the freedom to not worry bout the money they earn but instead do what they really want to do.

So even though i would love to do what i really wish to, i cant cause i have a responsibility and unfortunately my bank account isnt capable of doing it itself:)

About Me

My photo
I am an entrepreneur by passion and technology & customer service solutions consultant by profession. I express my ideas and views here. I would appreciate your comments.    Thank you for stopping by and happy blogging.

Followers

visits